Awwww! Can anyone resist the sweet little face of a hedgehog? We certainly can’t! They are quite cute, but not so cuddly. The nocturnal mammal’s distinctive look includes prickly spines covering its back. They serve a very important purpose and provide protection while the animal sleeps or if they feel threatened.
Let’s create an adorable hedgehog of our own to celebrate the arrival of autumn. We can make its prickly back with fall leaves collected outside in your own backyard, neighborhood, or local trail. If you live in a location without seasonal changes, just use your imagination to hunt for other items like pine needles, small twigs, or even dry grasses.
To get started, print this hedgehog template, and watch this video to see how your hedgehog will come together. You’ll also need the following items:
- Hedgehog Template (.pdf provided)
- Colored Pencils or Crayons
- Fall Leaves (collected outside!)
- Extra Sheet of Paper
- Book or Something Heavy (to flatten leaves)
- Color the body of your hedgehog. You can leave its back white or color it in—your choice! (This is where you’ll be using those items you collected.)
- Now begin making its prickly coat by gluing a few leaves down to create the top layer. Stop about halfway down.
- Flatten your leaves by placing a protective sheet of paper over your work so far. Now use a book or something heavy to press it down while it dries for a few minutes.
- Finish the back of your hedgehog by gluing down more leaves or natural materials to cover the rest of the open space. (I bet it’s looking good!)
- Repeat step 3 by flattening the leaves once more during the drying process.
- You did it! You created your own unique hedgehog!
Now, consider giving your new pet a name and be sure to find a good spot to display your work! You can read about more hedgehog facts here