If you’re fortunate to have a grandparent in your life, you know just how special they are! Grandparents make life grand by providing wisdom, guidance, and love—generations in the making. No matter how your family tree is formed, it’s nice to show our appreciation for such special relationships.
Show your grandparents (or anyone!) how much you care by creating this simple, homemade card. We’ve created a few templates for you to choose from to help you share a few loving thoughts including, "five reasons you're special," "five favorite things," or "five treasured memories."
Watch this video to see how it looks while you help your child reflect. Select one that feels right and collect the rest of your supplies to get started!
You’ll need the following items:
- Colored Paper (Ex: construction paper, cardstock, upcycled folders, etc.)
- Glue Stick
- Colored Pencils/Markers
- Printed Card Insert (.pdfs provided)
Now it’s time to create your card:
- First, fold your printed insert. Then, place it on a folded piece of colored paper. Leave some space around the insert and cut another rectangle, slightly larger. This becomes the outside of the card.
- Trace your child’s hand on the front of the card with a marker. We recommend washable markers, of course!
- Write a message at the top and then let your child decorate his/her hand.
- Now use the glue stick to glue the insert to the inside of the card.
- Use colored pencils to fill in the blanks. If your child is old enough to write independently, let them do this step (with a little extra help, as needed).
- Let your child color the numbers to further personalize the card.
That’s it! You did it! Now, share your card with your grandparent or loved one. The simple design can be used for any occasion or any recipient, so make sure you save this link for future occasions!