By Nicole Spain, Registered Dietician
When most people think of barbecuing they picture hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill. But if you want to try something different, try making my family’s favorite: Grilled Chicken & Veggie Pasta Salad. What’s best about this healthy recipe is that you can make it ahead!
Grilled Chicken and Veggie Pasta
Rotini Noodles 1 lb
Chicken breast ½ – 1 lb
Lemons, juiced 2 each
Olive Oil 1 Tbsp
Fresh assorted herbs, chopped ½ – 1 C
Fresh Vegetables (onion, eggplant, zucchini, etc.) 3-5 whole vegetables of your choice
Olive Oil (opt. lemon or basil flavored) ¼ cup
Salt 1 tsp
Pepper ½ tsp
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Prepare noodles according to package directions. When done, drain and toss with ¼ cup olive oil and ½ of the lemon juice. Add chopped herbs to the pasta.
- Brush chicken with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut vegetables into large pieces. For carrots, zucchini, etc., cut them lengthwise. For onions and peppers cut them into large rounds. If using asparagus or mushrooms, such as portabella, you can leave them as is. Brush vegetables with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken and vegetables in a single layer on the grill.
- Cook chicken until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Cook vegetables over medium-low for 12 minutes; flipping once. Vegetables should be tender to the touch, with nice grill marks. Cook longer if you desire softer vegetables.
- Allow chicken and vegetables to cool. Once cooled, cut all chicken and vegetables into bite size pieces. (Reserve any liquid from cutting). Toss chicken, vegetables, and leftover liquid into pasta.
- Add additional lemon juice, olive oil or seasoning as needed.
- Serve chilled.